Friday, June 17, 2011

SELF PORTRAITS

Since the 1980's I have sketched, on occasion, a number of self portraits, in the hope that one day I will have the time (and courage) to produce a decent work which I can call My Portrait.  Those who visit or have visited my website www.inartelfen.com , are aware of the two pics I have used on and off on the site and which I show below.


The first one is a photo taken by my son when he was 10 years old, and the second is based on the same photo, but shamelessly promotes my website and this blog.




I think this summer I may attempt a self portrait based on one of the following three sketches or a combination thereof.  Maybe  blog readers can help me on this by commenting on this posting or sending me an e-mail through my website.

This self portrait was for sure sketched in 1985 in Montreal, Canada.  I am wearing my favourite shirt and watch, sitting on a couch watching TV (partial view in top right corner) and sketching Myself Sketching??

The hands merge into the sketchbook and the sketch itself and what I can see are my black pants which I have put on the paper inside the paper??

I personally like this one, but it may be too personal for others to understand its full meaning to me.








This pen sketch was done, if I am not mistaken, circa 1992 or 1993, in Toronto.  I have show part of it here, as I am yet to decipher some of the calligraphed French and Arabic words that were attached to the portrait.

I think this is a start for something that may yet lead to The Portrait.













This last one is of a more recent vintage, and if my memory serves me right, has to be from the early 2000's.

I like it because it reminds me of the doodles that covered my notebooks and books in both high school and university.

I still doodle sometimes and this one looks interesting especially after I added some basic colours to it at a later date.






I hope to hear from some of you, and meanwhile, I will start thinking about it, and maybe commit my portrait to canvas or paper later this year.  The three sketches above are NOT available at my website (www.inartelfen.com).




No comments:

Post a Comment